Position: Postdoctoral Research Fellow (2 positions)
Site: Krembil Discovery Tower, Toronto Western Hospital
Department: Synthetic Medicinal Chemistry
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Status: Temporary Full-time (1 to 2 Years)
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Postdoctoral Research Fellow in our Synthetic Medicinal Chemistry Research Laboratory.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,600 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN’s seven research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
A Postdoctoral position is available immediately for a synthetic organic or medicinal chemist with the Weaver Medicinal Chemistry Research Lab at the Krembil Research Institute. The group is focused on the discovery of novel biological targets and therapeutic agents for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases. The successful candidate will join a vibrant multi-disciplinary academic research group consisting of biochemists, molecular biologists, behavioural neuroscientists, and computational and medicinal chemists.
1. Design and synthesis of new chemical entity small molecules as putative drug platforms.
2. Conduct multi-step synthesis of small molecules using state of the art synthetic organic chemistry methods
• A recently obtained (within 5 years) PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry
• Significant experience and expertise in synthetic organic chemistry, with demonstrated problem-solving skills
• Must be an effective team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Solid documentation and organizational skills
• Track record of success shown through publications, patents, and presentations
• Desire to collaborate with diverse scientists, integrating data from multiple disciplines
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
More information and apply here.