University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of a Postdoctoral Fellow in KITE – Toronto Rehab Research Institute.
Job Posting # 903067
Position: Postdoctoral Fellow
Site: KITE – Toronto Rehab Research Institute
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Status: Temporary Full-time (1 year with possibility of extension)
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,600 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN’s seven research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
The successful candidate will support the clinical research activities of the Schroeder Pain Assessment and Rehabilitation Research Centre (SPARC) activities at Toronto Rehabilitation Institute – University Centre (550 University Ave, Toronto). SPARC is a center where research is conducted on pain and chronic pain disorders. The research encompasses neurophysiology, As a member of the team, you will be responsible for leading clinical research. In particular, the postdoctoral fellow will be responsible for the coordination of multiple research studies from its inception and see through its completion.
As part of the team, the postdoctoral fellow will have the following responsibilities:
• Preparation and assisting in the preparation and submission of manuscripts of study findings
• Preparation of grant proposals
• Co-author and submit at least 3 manuscripts per year
• First author at least 2 manuscripts per year
• Develop and submit 2 grant proposals per year
• Submit Research Ethics Board applications
• Present research findings at national and international scientific meetings
• Supervision of students, graduate and undergraduate students
• Development of study protocol(s), recruitment of study participants, data collection, analysis and writing up study results
• Maintaining the SPARC research participant database
• Other duties as assigned
• PhD or equivalent doctoral degree in clinical epidemiology, biomedical engineering
• Completion of PhD within 5 years at the time of application
• Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis background
• Experience with the database development and management of large datasets, including data entry and data cleaning
• Excellent track record of meeting deadlines and project targets
• Strong writing skills, in particular, with grant proposals
• A keen motivation to make a difference and to achieve goals
• Excellent record of scientific publication and communication
• Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
• Organizational skills and effective time management
• Experience working as part of an interdisciplinary team
• A personal statement describing your professional and academic interests and objectives for the fellow and for the longer term. Personal statements should be 500 – 1,000 words.
• Three letters of recommendation
• Three references
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Posting Date: July 21, 2022 Closing Date: Until filled
More information and apply here.