University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of a Postdoctoral Fellow in our Multi Organ Transplant Program at Toronto General Hospital Research Institute (TGHRI).
Job Posting #906042
Position: Postdoctoral Fellow
Site: Toronto General Hospital Research Institute
Department: Multi Organ Transplant Program
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Status: Temporary Full-time (3 months with possibility of extension)
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Postdoctoral Fellow in our Multi Organ Transplant Program.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,600 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN’s seven research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
A Postdoctoral Fellowship in computational biology is available in the Multi Organ Transplant Program. This position represents a unique opportunity to augment bioinformatics and computational biology skills in liver disease and cancer research to address clinically relevant questions.
The responsibilities of the Postdoctoral Fellow will include: integrative analysis of multi-dimensional cancer and liver disease ‘omics datasets using statistical and machine learning approaches; preprocessing and quality assessment of raw –omics data; visualization and interpretation of –omics data with pathway and network information; writing peer reviewed papers and grant proposals.
Applicants must be passionate about conducting scientific research, demonstrate ethics and integrity, and can work both independently and as an effective member of a research team. More information can be found at: https://bhatlab.uhnresearch.ca/
• PhD received within the past 5 years (or MD received within 10 years) in bioinformatics, computational biology, statistics, computer science or related fields are strongly preferred
• Strong scientific publication record in peer-reviewed journals on bioinformatics and/or cancer research
• Strong understanding and interest in molecular biology, genomics, and cancer/liver disease biology
• Practical knowledge of basic statistics; machine learning skills are a definite plus
• Proficiency in at least one programming language and knowledge of statistics
• Minimum 3 years of experience with bioinformatics resources, databases, tools and common standard formats
• Minimum 3 years of experience in analyzing next-generation sequencing and/or microarray data
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a fast-paced and collaborative team
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Demonstrated excellent publication record of scientific achievement
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste a cover letter including and a research statement and contact information for three references. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Posting Date: Sept 8, 2022 Closing Date: Oct 6, 2022
More information and apply here.