University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Postdoctoral Fellow in Medicinal Chemistry Research.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,600 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN’s seven research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
We are offering a postdoctoral fellowship in medicinal chemistry within the Centre for Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery (CMCDD) at the Krembil Research Institute, UHN. As the postdoctoral fellow, you will be part of an exciting multi-disciplinary team tasked with translating new biological discoveries into druggable targets. The position will be focused on multi-step synthesis of novel small molecules that will be tested in various biological assays conducted within academic researchers’ laboratories at Krembil. UHN and other research institutes across Canada. The successful candidate will be part of the Kembil’s vibrant multi-disciplinary academic drug discovery group consisting of over 50 biochemists, molecular biologists, behavioral neuroscientists, and computational, analytical and medicinal chemists.
• Design and synthesis of new chemical entity small molecules as putative drug platforms
• Conduct multi-step synthesis of small molecules using state of the art synthetic organic chemistry methods
• Conduct structure and ligand-based design and basic molecular modelling
• Work collaboratively with expert researchers across a multitude of disease biology areas and other scientific disciplines
• Conduct due diligence on potential therapeutic targets
• PhD received in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry within 1-3 years preferred
• Expertise and experience in standard techniques of synthetic organic chemistry
• Effective team player with strong, collaborative trouble-shooting skills
• Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams is an asset
• Solid documentation skills and organizational ability
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Basic knowledge of key concepts in biochemistry and pharmacology an asset
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Posting Date: February 3, 2022 Closing Date: February 17, 2022
More information and apply here.