Seeds of Science: Episode 4 Leif Simmatis
Dr. Leif Simmatis is a third-year postdoctoral researcher in the labs of Dr. Yana Yunusova and Dr. Babak Taati at KITE – Toronto Rehabilitation Institute. Leif completed his PhD in neuroscience at Queen’s University in 2020, where he used upper-limb robotic assessments to measure neurological impairments in several different clinical populations. His postdoctoral research has focused on developing automated motor speech assessment methods, including software platforms for gathering data, and pipelines for extracting and validating digital speech biomarkers. He is also currently doing a Mitacs Elevate fellowship in collaboration with Winterlight Labs.
Contact with Leif:
By email: email@example.com
LinkedIn: Leif Simmatis
Listen to the episode on:
- Dr. Yana Yunusova’s lab
- Dr. Babak Taati’s lab
- Kinarm Robotics – check it out to see pictures of the robotics!
- Simmatis, L.E.R., Scott, S.H. & Jin, A.Y. Quantifying changes over 1 year in motor and cognitive skill after transient ischemic attack (TIA) using robotics. Sci Rep 11, 17011 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-96177-y
- If you’d like to see more publications from Dr. Leif Simmatis: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=QlxZ0FwAAAAJ
- KITE – stands for Knowledge Innovation Talent Everywhere – it is the research arm of the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, a world leader in rehabilitation science. KITE’s areas of focus include prevention, restoration, enhanced participation and independent living.
- ALS – Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- EMG – electromyography
- TIA – transient ischemic attack
- MCAT – Medical College Admission Test
- PI – Principal Investigator
Disclaimer: The Seeds of Science podcast is supported by UHN’s Office of Research Trainees (ORT). The views expressed in the podcast episodes are not necessarily those of UHN or ORT.