Postdoc Appreciation Week Day 4: Exploring Careers Outside of Academia
September 22| 4:00 – 6:00 PM
The UHN Postdoc Association (UHNPA) and Office of Research Trainees (ORT) are excited to introduce the 2022 National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) at UHN!
In partnership with the Science to Business Network (S2BN), the UHNPA presents a panel and networking event on Careers Outside of Academia. This event will introduce attendees to diverse industry career paths, via discussions with industry professionals. By the end of the event, participants will gain a better understanding of potential career options that leverage their skillsets.
Panel Q& A with:
- Alexander Lang, PhD, MBA – Manager Med. Info, Janssen
- Barbora Hucik – Medical Science Liaison (MSL), Novo Nordisk
- Rylend Mulder – Strategic Operations Manager, Novo Nordisk
- Tracy Moreira-Lucas, PhD – oncology medical affairs scientist, Pfizer
- Stuart Young – Medical Advisor, Hematology at Bayer Canada
The panel will be followed by networking sessions with the panelists and Carla Maxemous – Medical Science Liaison, GSK in breakout rooms.
Alexander Lang, PhD, MBA – Manager Med. Info, Janssen
Dr. Alexander Lang completed an a Bachelors in Life Science at Queen’s University and started graduate school at Queen’s with the Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology working in the Cancer Research Department. In 2001, he joined industry as a Medical Information Associate. Dr. Lang has worked as a Scientific Advisor, Marketing Product Manager, Medical Science Liaison (MSL), Medical Writer, Pharmacovigilance Project Manager, Compliance Project Manager, and Medical Affairs Director. In 2019, he joined Janssen as a Manager, Medical Information for Oncology and Haematology. In 2021, he completed an MBA with the University of Illinois, Gies College of Business.
Stuart Young – Medical Advisor, Hematology at Bayer Canada
Stuart Young completed an undergraduate degree in Chemical and Bioengineering at McMaster University
and a PhD in the Collaborative Biomedical Engineering Program at Queen’s University. After graduation,
Stuart completed the Pharmaceutical & Healthcare Management and Innovation diploma program at Queen’s
University, which included an internship position in Medical Affairs at Sanofi Pasteur. After the internship,
Stuart continued in Medical Affairs at Bayer Inc., first as a Medical Science Liaison and now currently as a
Medical Scientific Advisor for the hematology therapeutic area.
Register for UHN Postdoc Appreciation Week events here.
Learn more about all of the week’s events:
- Welcome and PowerPoint Karaoke | September 19 | 12:00 – 2:00 PM
- Postdocs’ Rights – Unraveling the Mysteries| September 20 | 2:00 – 3:00 PM
- The Intersection of Physical and Mental Health: a Panel Discussion | September 21 | 1:00-2:00 pm
- Exploring Careers Outside of Academia | September 22 | 4:00 -6:00 pm
- Social | September 23 | 12:00 – 2:00 pm